You may or may not have heard the news, but the country of Moldova is in an uproar over the elections. Sunday was the national elections, and it turned out that the Communist party took about 49.9% of the vote (something many people here are questioning). Today there was a huge protest (15,000 people) in Chisinau, and the protestors broke into the president's office and the Parliament and caused some major distruction. A few of my students ditched class today to go to the protests. I saw them on the street a few minutes ago and they said they heard at least two people were killed, but I haven't seen anything in the news about that. My students said it's possible there will be more this week.
Here are some articles:
http://www.nytimes.com/slideshow/2009/04/07/world/0407-MOLDOVA_11.htmlhttp://www.nytimes.com/2009/04/08/world/europe/08moldova.html?ref=worldhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8mTGxFVztTI&eurl=http%3A%2F%2Fnews.google.com%2Fnews%3Fpz%3D1%26topic%3Dw&feature=player_embeddedBut, I am OK. So far it hasn't affected daily life a lot. PC said we're not allowed to come into Chisinau until further notice, and I have heard talk thatthe bus systems and internet have been going on and off trying to keep people from comming into the city. As I know more, I will try to post it.
No comments:
Post a Comment